N211: Health Differences Across the Lifespan I patient wear a medic alert bracelet. Refer the family for genetic counseling. Provide support to patient and family during periods of growth and development when increased risk for bleeding occurs (i.e. tooth loss, walking). Inherited bleeding disorders such as hemophilia and sickle cell anemia are autosomal recessive, meaning that both parents must be heterozygous, or carriers of the recessive trait for the disease to be expressed in their offspring. With each pregnancy, there is a one and four chance that the infant will have the disease. However, all children of such parents can get the disease, not just 25% of them. X-linked recessive trait is carried on the X chromosome; therefore, the trait is carried on the X chromosome; therefore it usually affects male offspring. With each pregnancy of a woman who is a carrier, there is a 25% chance of having a child who is a carrier; there is a 25% chance of having a child with hemophilia. If the child is male, he has a 50% chance of having hemophilia. If the child is female, she has a 50% chance of being a carrier.
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online